Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Negative Nellie, Negative Nancy, Negative Nineveh?


Negativity. I'm convinced it's a philosophical concept, practiced by millions worldwide. You may be a negative nellie, negative nancy...whatever you call it. But I had to ask MYSELF, "Am I a Negative Nineveh?" Suddenly I'm starting to dislike my name. After carefully analyzing whether or not I belong to the "Negative Nellie" club(no membership fees by the way; it's free to join!), I decided yeah. I can be negative. No, I'm not a pessimist. I'm the opposite. An optimist who has always believed there are skittles at the end of a rainbow, and leprechauns with gold too. Okay, sounds rather fanciful but the truth is my self-exploration journey (especially lately) has more to do with whether I'm a victim of circumstances. Yes, I shouted to myself! I'm negativity's VICTIM. Throw negativity in jail! Negativity is guilty for causing my tension headaches and the fine lines on my face. Wish it was that easy. Playing the blame game is always the easiest way out...

Negativity crept up on me. It didn't just possess me overnight. It took weeks, maybe months. It's hard to self-diagnose yourself, but as I float in this cloud of negativity, I wonder "How did I become so negative?" I contemplate. I was raised by a family of drama queens? No, that's not it. If anything that's what makes me so eccentric. I'm proud of that. Wait, is eccentricity a bad thing? According to wikipedia, maybe. Anyway, I went through a list of questions, not appropriate for my blog, but I think I've figured out part of the problem. I have surrounded myself with Negative Nellies. Yes, people who think to themselves "my life is so tragic." But fading Negative Nellies out of your life is not as easy as pushing the delete button on your computer. Besides, sometimes it's fun listening to Negative Nancy talk about her dating disasters. Oh and while we're on the topic, there are plenty of Negative Neds out there too. Negativity isn't just reserved for females. I wonder who coined the term anyway? Could it have been a MALE?

Clearly I've veered off topic. But only momentarily. The point is...what is the point!? No more negativity. Yes, I'm going live in a bubble of happiness. Unfortunately it's not in my nature to bake cookies and bring them into work. I buy candy and dump it in the middle of the newsroom. Yeah, right on the floor. Trick or treat. No, I'm teasing. I at least put it on a table, but that's just me. And while we're on the subject, "me" doesn't want to have negative thoughts anymore. Because negativity breeds negativity. It's like a vicious cycle. I should just quit cold turkey. So here it goes...

Dear Negative Nelly,

I want to break up. For good this time. It's not you. It's me. It's just time we both go our separate ways. And while I know you'll drop by once in a while to say hello, I want you to know that I'm serious about our relationship. It's over.

Farewell...
Your ex,
Nineveh (p.s. I'm officially dropping "Negative" from my name. My lawyer will send you the paperwork.)

In all seriousness, transforming into a more positive person won't be easy. But I think it starts with recognition. Then action. Then change. Not that I necessarily want to change who I am. Not at all. Just those negative thoughts that stop so many of us from chasing our dreams. Those negative thoughts that get us down during the day. Those negative thoughts that do us no good!

Now ask yourself, is your glass half empty or half full? And if it's not the latter, wouldn't life be so much more grand if it were? Yeah, I'm starting to think so too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow this is a really good one. Sometimes you come across something that you need to realize and by reading Negative Nelly, this reminds me of how negative Mike (that's me) really is. You are right, it's totally up to us how we are, either negative or not and I have let the negative side get to me way too much lately. Guess I need to break up with the negative side and move on. Youre right about the negative side visiting us and I guess we just have to make it a brief visit and get over it. I will try harder myself to be more positive and not so negative. Thanks Nin.
M. Thomas

Anonymous said...

wow you're a great writer and your topics are always very interesting!i really enjoy reading your blog..positivity goes a looong way!

Staci said...

Excellent post and something I very much needed to hear this week! I really am NOT a negative person and was not raised in a negative environment so for the life of me I have no idea where this negative side of me has come from! After reflecting on your post yesterday I do believe that I have allowed myself to become surrounded by a lot of negative influences ( family, friends) that I did not have in the past.

That's it-- I,too, am breaking up with my Negative Side. Enough is enough. Be gone! Thanks, Nin!

Steve H said...

Brilliant comments as always. We should take them to heart. As you reported this morning (11/12/09) Utah is the "happiest" state in the United States. I find myself falling into the negative Ned or negative Norman category far too often. Action is the way to get out of the negative mode. If we are "feeling sorry for ourselves" then it isn't up to someone else to change our attitute. We need to take action and make ourselves happy. I know that is easier said than done but it isn't impossible. I had a coworker once tell me that if he isn't 80% happy at a job (he was an LA cop by the way) then it is time to make a change. I am not 80% happy with my job but I am 80% happy with what I do so what kind of change should I make???? Well, I'm in the process of working that through. It takes a lot of thought and a lot of research an a lot of action but I believe it will happen. The real question is will I be 80% happy after making the change? I guess I will roll the dice and find out.
As for you, the Salt Lake market needs you. You are a fantastic Anchor and reporter and even if you are having a "negative Nineveh" day you don't let us in on the secret.
Thank you for your posts and your kindness and your hard work.
Keep it up..
Steve(sahopson21)

Anonymous said...

i very enjoy all your posting way, very remarkable.
don't quit as well as keep writing as it just truly worth to follow it.
excited to browse much of your own article content, thankx ;)